Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Bruised Reed


Jesus, aware of this, withdrew from there. And many followed him, and he healed them all and ordered them not to make him known. This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah: “Behold, my servant whom I have chosen, my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles. He will not quarrel or cry aloud, nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets; a bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory; and in his name the Gentiles will hope.”
Matthew 12:15-21


I spent most of the day, leaving first thing in the morning to go to a doctor's appointment and evaluation for further back treatment. As he poked and prodded, asking questions and pushing and pulling, I thought of how simultaneously sturdy and fragile the human body is. And how fragile and sturdy our human condition. We are easily bruised when we are vulnerable and prone to hurting others without awareness. The doc I saw was very careful and gentle and I still was quite sore when all was said and done.

Jesus moved away from the political gnarlings of the religious leadership so that he could focus on the needs of the folks in the street. He was meek and gentle with them, tending to their needs, one by one, and not wanting them to make public his presence with them. He focus was on their safety, healing and care, moving them from the limelight, so that he could listen and respond. He spoke to them the words of the prophet, familiar words of comfort and promise - his life the act of birthing justice for all in the world.

Today I pray that I can remember how fragile and needy we all are, and respond to others gently, with healing and justice in every word and deed. May we all act as agents of the loving one who we follow, so that quietly an gently, all may experience justice and healing on our time.

No comments: