Friday, June 10, 2011

My Sisters


Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42


I have three sisters, my daughters are three sisters and my mother is one of three sisters. One of my sisters passed away in 1990, and all these years later, her loss is still a deep scar in all of our lives. What I know about sisters from experience, whether we are sisters by blood or sisters by friendships - we women drive each other crazy and yet are more loyal and protective of one another than anyone can imagine. I have always felt for Martha, because I have a sister or two who always wiggled out of chores and hung out with the visitors and the celebrities. And I also know that fussing over the details of life can take us from the joy of the love we all share. Sisters, my sisters, both my blood sisters, my native sisters and all the other women I consider sisters, we are invited by Christ today to set aside the worry and to bask in the light of love while we have it.

Jesus loved these two women and their brother. We see Jesus crying over Lazarus' tomb they were such family to him. We see and know love and raw compassion in his relationship with Martha and Mary. Jesus invites us all to put aside out petty squabbles and enjoy the present love in the present day.

Today, I ask God to help me to enjoy every moment of the lvoe I have been give, in my sisters, my aunties, my daughters and our grandduaghter along we all my relations. We are God's best gift to one another, we are the divine blessing in our midst, so may we all treasure the treasures we have been given this day.

No comments: