Sunday, May 29, 2011

No Orphans


Jesus said to his disciples, "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.

"I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them." John 14:15-21


Today we attended church at St. Peter's in Cape May Point. It was the first Sunday the church was open after a long, cold and stormy winter. Light filtered in everywhere, the breeze was cool and everyone was happy to be back together. There were some folks missing, one who had been senior warden for generations. John passed away last summer and we all miss him. There were little ones there too, vocal and bright and a community was renewed and reconnected today. It is a fragile and transient community, because of the seasons and the nature of a beach town. And yet, we are, all of us, permanent residents and visitors alike, a community together and no one is considered a stranger.

Jesus is reassuring his disciples. It seems that he spent a lot of time reassuring them and promising them support at all times. We are, as humans, all in need of constant reassurance. Some of us may think we are truly self-reliant and without the need of support, but there isn't one of us who can live our lives of faith alone. How wonderful that Jesus says what we need to hear, even when we act like we are above our own needs.

Today, as the sun sets and the world hushes, I am particularly grateful for the many ways God finds to never leave us alone or abandoned. I am so thankful for my family, for the many friends and people of faith who hold me up in prayer and act as partners in this walk of faith, no matter how far apart we might be.

No comments: