Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Well-Deserved Crown


As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. 2 Timothy 4:5-8

We just got home from Delaware after attending a dear friend's funeral. Elizabeth Denny Lamb, Beth to most of us, was a friend, a mentor, a neighbor and one who knew and loved God completely. She acted as Senior Warden, Head of Altar Guild as well as a million other roles at St. Anne's. Her life had not always been easy, but she never flagged in her faith and always kept her sense of humor. She hosted many a rowdy bunch of children in her pool and always had time to listen to a friend. She was constantly praying and when her health flagged she learned to use the internet and even joined face book. You knew she loved you, she gently kept in touch and never stopped encouraging even the most ornery child or adult. She was a queen and received her royal crown from her maker whom she knew as a friend.

Today, as the dark sets in and the road weary head to their rest, I want to give thanks to God for giving us women like Beth, who was often poured out, often enduring suffering and loss, challenge upon challenge, and yet gave her all to Christ and the ministry to which she was called. I pray that someday I can be like Beth, one who offers her all for the life and faith of others.

No comments: