Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Asking Today


Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:6-14

Philip asks wanting proof
a vision of God crystal clear
a demonstration of ultimate power
of proximity to greatness.
His master wondered how bad eyesight
or hard hearts have blinded him.

We ache for proof waking to light
to tables groaning and love gathered
and still want more from the one
who gives us everything day in
day out and we hold back.

The incarnate one shows us open hands
offering abundance and limitless love
and we would see spectacle and pizazz
smoke and mirrors light spectacular
and miss the roar of the ocean
and the power of the water that covers
us with life, potent and strong.

May I be fearless in my asking
putting all before his feet
offering daily my life and time
for the love of others around me.

May my prayers be for love and abundance
trusting God who promises even more.

No comments: