Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Prepare the Way


The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. As it is written in Isaiah the prophet, “Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way, the voice of one crying in the wilderness:‘Prepare the way of the Lord,
make his paths straight,’” Mark 1:1-3


I have been looking around and realizing that I have a crowd of people coming to my house on Sunday evening and I am no where near ready for them. Inside and out, straightening, cleaning and preparing have to be done. Little messes, piles of books and magazines, vacuuming and all sorts of other tidying activities are in mt very near future. I don not think this was exactly what John was talking about but I think it can point to where we are to God. "Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight." I know I can clean my house and tidy everything up, but God is calling me to open my heart to the light of God and prepare my soul and being for the incarnation of God anew in my life.

With ten days until Christmas, I see the panicked looks on many faces. Time and money are running short for many. They worry that it will be a horrible Christmas, as if the packages under the tree are Christmas. I find it hard to slow down during this time of year and find myself checking and rechecking lists, feeling inadequate and never enough. But God calls us then and now to prepare the way, to un-clutter the roadway, to unclog the pathways to our hearts and lives so that Jesus can come in.

Today, I want to be focused on preparation - the preparation of my heart and soul for the coming of Christ anew at Christmas. I want to find the wonder and joy of a child and to release the adult burdens and anxieties to God. I ask God to help me open my heart, helping me to forgive and forgo anger, to let go of expectations and to rely completely on the generosity and love of God in my life.

No comments: