Saturday, December 11, 2010

Joy in the Morning


Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints,
and give thanks to his holy name.
For his anger is but for a moment,
and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:4-5


Today is my husband Mark's birthday. He wasn't supposed to be here today since he was scheduled to go out and see his mother in Western Pennsylvania for the weekend. The weather has turned very rough out there, with more snow on the way, and so his trip and visit had to be postponed. And so I get to spend the day with my best buddy, my husband and the love of my life. Not matter what rough challenges and cruel behavior that happen to me in my life, I cannot look on his smiling face in the morning and be filled with joy. And on this day, his birthday, I can't help but be thankful to God, over and over, for the gift of Mark. No girl was so fortunate nor so blessed. I am not a girl now, but when I married Mark at 19, I was indeed, and even then, I knew I had been given a gift from God, a pearl beyond price, and a love that legends are made of.

The psalmist faced all sorts of crises, betrayal and jealousy, deceit and violence - not to mention his own human frailties and lack of control. And he had a relationship with God, knowing that despite all the dreary, heart wrenching days, God's love was new every morning and God would bring joy to the musician, the psalmist, the king and the fool, as they were willing to trust and turn their lives over to God.

So today, I ask God to help me celebrate the incredible gifts in my life, and especially today, Mark. A king, a prince and the brightest and cleverest - and more even, a faithful and true friend. May we all give thanks to God today for the abundance of love we have in our lives and remember to share the love and joy with thse around us, no matter our circumstances.

No comments: