Thursday, December 2, 2010

God of the Living


And Jesus said to them, “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection. But that the dead are raised, even Moses showed, in the passage about the bush, where he calls the Lord the God of Abraham and the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob. Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him.” Then some of the scribes answered, “Teacher, you have spoken well.” For they no longer dared to ask him any question. Luke 20:34-40

Some days on waking light
filtering through windows dusty
eyes sleep swollen and stumbling
are these feet alive
or dead waking to new life?

Some nights tossing worrying
mistakes tiptoe around me
night visitors in shadow and whisper
I wonder what heaven might be like.

Some afternoons as the sun
burns into my working shoulders
digging in the garden's soil
life hidden away and vibrant
still I hope
to see you again.

I know the promise and ache
for more than a picture to hold
an old scarf you knitted
a brief laugh or song you might
sing me at night when fears
surrounded and you
held me tight.

You are raised to life and I
waiting to know you fully again
can only ache from the distance
knowing we will laugh and dance
again together when I
am raised like you.

No comments: