Thursday, December 30, 2010

Casting Stones


Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more. John 8:1-11

The first sting drew blood
warm and sticky running down
my forehead covered by my arms
kneeling, weeping I know what
I have done.

I admit it, the ache and loneliness
overwhelmed and confused the warmth
enveloping my fears the deep darkness
making me bold.

My first sin was to be born woman
the second was to offer myself
and knowing wrong from right
i sinned and it is now upon me.

The shame and guilt sting more than
stone upon stone the wretched taunts
the words of truth and self same hypocrisy
among the crowd many who needed me
wanted me close in their lives aching
for my touch and my soft words.

I alone was wrong and here I stand
surrounded by accusers, and we are all
a crowd of broken lives, blood thirsty
for forgiveness and acknowledgment
our wait for a savior has made us all mean.

He stands in the midst of them, softly speaking
gentle gestures, fearless among the mob trembling
for death and vengeance, they part as he kneels
writing on the ground
name after name of the ones in the crowd
all of us now named as in need.

I stand alone, sinful and aware
that silence has replaced their stones
the bitter metallic taste of blood in my mouth
my only companion besides him.

He looks at me and I am washed by forgiveness
understanding and light.

I am not the woman I was this morning
I am a follower of the one who set me free.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Thanks for this one.