Friday, November 12, 2010

Spirit poured out


“And it shall come to pass afterward,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh;
your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
your old men shall dream dreams,
and your young men shall see visions.
Even on the male and female servants
in those days I will pour out my Spirit." Joel 2:28-29


I got in the pool today for the first time in many weeks. Early in September, our neighborhood pool closed and I have been trying to find a place to do laps since then. I went today to the YWCA in White Plains during the hour designated as women's swim. Most of the ladies were older and only a few of us were doing laps. I was so excited to be finally back in the pool. My spirits were soaring as I did each lap and thought about how I would improve over time and get stronger, go faster and swim longer. My spirit was thrilled to be finally in the water. And now, hours later my body is asking me what I thought I was doing. The flesh is always a challenge to the spirit and God is always trying to work with lumps of sedentary clay like me.

Today, I pray that I can do a little more each day, open my heart to the touch of the spirit and offer my strength and endurance to the good of God's reign. Today, I want to remember that the aches and pains will dull but the power of the spirit never dulls and never fades away. May we all respond to God's call in our lives today, trusting that the spirit will be poured out upon us all.

No comments: