Thursday, November 4, 2010

Small but mighty


He said therefore, “What is the kingdom of God like? And to what shall I compare it? It is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his garden, and it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches.” And again he said, “To what shall I compare the kingdom of God? It is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, until it was all leavened.” Luke 13:18-21

Small But Mighty

I have watched you as you ran
across a field of so many large
boys with sticks ready to attack
you avoided every conflict keeping eyes
on the goal.

I have listened as you practiced
scales climbing and diving tears
rolling down your cheeks blinding you
to the beauty of the song yet the witnesses
to your song will never forget
are forever changed.

I have held my breath as you climbed
stairs to your dorm waving still
a child strong independent tender
with the will to move beyond separation
bringing a whole family together.

The little seed becomes a tree
the yeast transforms stagnant flour
into life giving bread.

I have known a little bud of faith
in the hands of small creatures
become cathedrals of love
for the whole world.

No comments: