Sunday, November 28, 2010

Be Prepared


Jesus said to the disciples, "But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour." Matthew 24:36-44

The days got away from me over the Thanksgiving holiday, and despite myself, I am feeling like the least prepared person today. The Gospel for Sunday reminds us to be prepared for we do not know the hour and yet I am aware that there is much to do and I am not feeling up to the task. On top of that I got an anonymous comment that was quite cruel. Here it is the beginning of Advent and instead of being prepared I am feeling undone. The time with our daughters, my mother, sister and niece and nephew were all wonderful as was the first Sunday in Advent. And yet, there is this lingering sense of there is an impossible amount to do and so much more to prepare. That I have already made a mess of things.

Jesus talks to his disciples about the end times when he will appear in all glory with complete power and majesty. Many have interpreted this passage to point to a clear final reckoning when some will be left behind after "the Rapture". I am more and more convinced that the rapture matter little in compared to how we prepared our hearts for Christ today. That my humility and vulnerability, compassion and concern for others are the preparation that God asks for and not for a righteousness, a perfect way of being and an completely ordered life. An open and loving heart rather than a critical mass of righteousness.

Today, I ask God for an abundance of love and compassion in my heart. I ask God to make me quick to forgive and always willing to make room and time for others. May my order and timing be God's timing today so that my life and my work might be to God's glory and praise.

No comments: