Monday, October 4, 2010

House on the Rocks


“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”Luke 6:46-49

In recent years, I have watched as people have build huge mansions overlooking the ocean, right on the sand. With money a-plenty these people carelessly build in places that are dangeous in a storm. Often when people have more money than they need they have less sense than a child and willfully throw their lives in the balance. They trust themselves and not the loving protection of a wise creator.

The house my mother lives in and I have known all of my life is a block from the ocean, on solid ground and has a full basement. Years ago, long before any of us knew it as home, it was three blocks further out on our street. All of the once road is now deep in the ocean. I have lived through several hurricanes with my family and the whistling wind sounds like a train at full speed. The ground shakes and the waves crash and the house stands firmly like an indignant child asking for justice on the playground. The house is secured and unmoved, though nor'easter after nor'easter have blasted her for centuries. I have an idea of what Jesus is talking about when he tell his followers to build upon the rocks. Jesus reminds us we can put our faith in flash and cash, or we can put our lives in the hands of the solid rock. The rock that is steady in the daylight and the celebrations and is firm in the darkness and the storms.

May we who live and breath today remember that we want to always put our faith in God, for the rock solid promise of love and protection, no matter the velocity of the storm nor the gale force winds of criticism and human folly. Today I want to live with the solid conviction of my mother's house. No flashy or with perfect expensive views, but with a deep abiding faith that gets even more solid when challenges come.

No comments: