Saturday, September 18, 2010

Not Remaining in Darkness


And Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world." John 12:44-47

In the Shadows no longer

We hide moving at night averting
detection we are crawling towards the border
with our lives in our hands.

Our babies and children cry
for milk and for mama carted away
in a raid at the mill.

We live on the reservation dusty
with the heat and ancestors lives shadow
our every move and we hear them crying
for our young.

The creator's child walks with us
lingering in our shadow existence touching
our burning foreheads with soft cool water.

He hums the deportee song and speaks
our language our hearts which ache
for a shelter and home.

We are weary and brown hungry
but not criminal, parents and children crossing
over to the light.

This light beckons us pulsing
from the heart of God welcoming
our broken down garb as that of royalty arriving
arriving home.

Carrying an ancient and new light
we sing the ancient chant
that makes all things new.

No comments: