Thursday, August 12, 2010

Belief


Many Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, “He told me all that I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them, and he stayed there two days. And many more believed because of his word. They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.” John 4:39-42

His face was gentle and his gaze
intense looking through my attitude
my tenuous grasp of dignity and hope.

The task in front of me water for cooking
for life, my humble tasks of daily life
undone by this persistent stranger.

We should be repulsed enemies
certainly distant but thirst and compassion
bubbled up like a new clear blue
spring from an old well.

Fear and trembling replaced hostility
a man like all men and yet tender
in redemption offered in seeing me
as a child innocent and dancing before
need and isolation broke my heart.

I am reborn without pain
no ripping or blood but rather
living clear blue water and life restored.

Neighbors come running for God's love
to be drenched in God's living water
to be baptized and born anew.

No comments: