Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Working in the Fields


“For the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. After agreeing with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. And going out about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the marketplace, and to them he said, ‘You go into the vineyard too, and whatever is right I will give you.’ Matthew 20:1-4

After a long day of traveling, on a very hot and muggy day, I could not help about all those people who toil day in nights in hot fields picking our food, bringing in the valuable fruits and vegetables. So many people and so much of the world has no relief from the heat, no shade to cover them and no clean water to quench their thirst. And yet everyone I spoke to on my trip today spoke of the weather and complained about their discomfort, including me. And yet I get to come home to a home, a family and a shady, cool place to lay my head.

Jesus reminded his disciples about the way God works and how generosity and kindness as the currency of the kingdom. How God cares for everyone who shows up in the field and there is plenty enough despite the greed which pervades the world. God's kingdom has a place for us all, even the ones who complain and think otherwise

Today, at the close of a very long day, I am grateful to God for a home, a family, and a wonderful community that is strong and supportive. A place in the kingdom and a job in the fields. I pray that this night I might measure up to God's call.

No comments: