Friday, June 4, 2010

Walking on Water


When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”

And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” Matthew 14:24-32


It was a dream, I thought, seeing you
stepping across the water's surface ripples
and waves marking your hem,eyes bright
with joining us again we are family
we are made of one spirit.

I was afraid, waiting to wake up, a vision
shimmering in the moonlight, shadow and silence
a spectral glow from turbulent life below
you above, wind pulling and tide rising
my breath stopped and I was afraid
for what I saw.

I was awake and aching to run to you proving
my loyalty, my fidelity, my bravery, oh heroism even
I stepped out thinking I was like you
and the water pulled me down seaweed wrapping
my ankles and my knees sinking
below the surface below all future
possibilities.

I was sinking alone, darkness wrapping
around me fish glistening in the deep moving
water everywhere pulling me, death and abandonment
my lot in life.

I am never alone a hand gentle, forgiving, reaching
life pulsing through one faithful connection
God man reaching for the sinking, the dying, me
in trouble again but never alone.

I was trying to walk on my own believing
in my strength and zeal forgetting that love
is the firm, solid ground centering the wanderer
tying down the drifting boats and mooring
me to the love of God.

No comments: