Sunday, June 27, 2010

On the Road


As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." But Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home." Jesus said to him, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God." Luke 9:57-62

The other day I was traveling home from Raleigh, North Carolina and checked in at the airport. The crowds there are small and there was little wait going through the security screening. I had a carry on bag for my laptop and some books which with everything else I sent through the machine. All of the sudden I was pulled out of line, told to stand to one side and not to touch my bag. They were going to do a search of my bag, (they thought I had a concealed weapon, it turned out) and maybe search me also. I was in a hurry but just the usual level of annoyed. The TSA officer searched my bag and drew out a large silver and turquoise cross of mine. He said, "see what trouble Jesus has caused you today?" We had a good laugh. And walking away, I couldn't help but think that the man didn't know the half of it.

Following Jesus isn't an easy road. And sometimes the troubles and challenges are huge and we are tempted to turn back, go home and crawl back to the safety of what we know. Following Jesus is living on trust, going without and sometimes being ridiculed for the faith we have. The disciples had a hard time with this and so do we.

Today, I want to take every step knowing that I am following Jesus and not having to lead the way. I have only to do my part and be faithful- one day's journey at at time. May we also each trust God on the road, knowing the hard scrabble journeys, the uphill climbs and the inclement weather are par of serving the one who has our lives in his hands.

No comments: