Thursday, May 27, 2010

Leavening


He put another parable before them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.” He told them another parable. “The kingdom of heaven is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, till it was all leavened.” Matthew 13:31-33

I learned to make bread from my mother. I can see even now her arms at work and I can hear her tell me, "it's like a small child, it takes time and some consistency." I was a young teenager then, in a big hurry, especially around her. When I was nearing the end of high school, I started making organic and whole wheat bread for my "hippie" friends. My mother's large dazzling white loaves were so old fashioned and not hip. The organic loaves I made were small, dense and dry. I was still in too big a hurry and not willing to nurture.

Jesus said the kingdom of heaven is like a woman who took leaven and put it in three measure of flour until all was leavened. What Jesus didn't say is that it takes time. Yeast is a wonderful substance but can be pretty fragile. If you rush it, you can stifle the yeast which needs air and food and a good measure of coercion through kneading. It takes a kind and patient heart to bring out all the best in the flour.

Today as we begin Oklahoma IV here in Tennessee, I ask only for a kind a patient heart. We are working together to build Indigenous leadership for the present and future church, and it will take leaven and a good measure of gentle coercion and lots of patience and love. May we all take this day tenderly knowing God will use us for the growing of the kingdom.

No comments: