Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Salt and Light


“You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16

Salt and Light

The icy water rolls down
the roof sodden with gray
green mold grows everywhere
I want to pull the covers up
over my face and hide.

The dull lamp light cannot
disperse the day's gloom
which shivers and shimmers threatening
to go out, trying to hide.

My mouth harbors a bitter
taste without sweet or salt
void of flavor and challenge
we labor over silent meals
and hide in the cafe shadows.

"You are salt and light" rings
in my ears as I look around
sad longing faces praying
for an angel a friend, a smile.

"You are salt and light" draws
me from the shadows enlivens limbs
stretches a stiff frame walking
into a world in need of radiance
and sweet delights.

My candle flame small
but insistent my flavor gentle
and constant though feeble
I am willing to share
what I have been given.

No comments: