Thursday, April 15, 2010

Love One Another


“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another. John 15:12-17

Very few people talk about commandments - giving or receiving them. Unless one is serving in the military, we are very unlikely to take or give commands. Our present day language and practice is much more subtle. We encourage and stimulate, corral and manipulate. No one says the give orders. We all wish we had someone to order around at some time. And yet, here is the kindest of all commandments. One that we can all wrap our minds and hearts around. Love one another, of course! And yet how rarely do we follow this command. How often do we really love others and care for them as we would ourselves? Loving is the gentlest command to give, and the hardest to follow completely.

Today, as I am busy with Vestry reports and other meetings, I am reflecting on how often I worry about the details of what we are doing, and rarely consider the impact. Relationships are primary to God and to thriving communities. And yet in our busy-ness we often forget the love and just take care of the tasks.

So today, despite all I have to do, I am asking God to help me get my focus on the loving - on the care of others. I ask God today, to help me follow Christ's command just for today, knowing that tomorrow will fall into place. May this day be a day when the tasks are overshadowed by the love, the care and concern for others. "Where charity and love are found, God is there."

No comments: