Saturday, February 13, 2010

We Live to the Lord


For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.Romans 14:7-9

There are days
when I feel I am dying
I want to lie down
on deep green grass
stare up at the bright blue
and fall asleep in the arms of God.

There are days
when I feel I am living
like never before walking
taller and stronger and I
want to lie down in the tall grass,
green surrounding me wind
on my face and a brilliant blue
above it all and me apart
of creation.

There are days
when the shadows are long
the sighs are deep
the gray world reeks of aching
pain is the fear rattling my bones
and a storm is definitely
hiding behind the near by trees.

There are days when God seems
to go out for a while, taking
sabbatical perhaps, maybe playing
croquet in some unsuspecting garden
or sipping coffee undetected on
a commuter train.

Today and yesterday
most likely tomorrow however
I feel, God is with me
on the platforms and quays
the desk or behind the wheel
God surrounds within and beyond
So then, whether we live or
whether we die,
we are the Lord's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful and hard and true.