Monday, February 8, 2010

Rivers of Living Water


On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified. John 7:37-39

I can dehydrate very easily and have to be careful to drink enough every day. Water is essential to life, we all know that. Our bodies are mostly water. Water is particularly important in my life. Water is a major symbol and power in my life, so much so that my Indian name is Amagalosga or Water Falls. Living and moving water are at the core of my being and those who named me know well that without water in motion, I am unable to thrive. None of us thrive when we are parched and without potable, clean water.

Jesus refers to himself as the source of living water for us all. Water in motion, clean and renewing, crystal clear font of life. And yet too, Jesus points to the capacity of all believers to be fonts of life giving water for others. Not just life for ourselves but life for others as well.

Today, I want to give thanks for water in all forms. For the snow that was predicted and we missed, the oceans and streams that surround is, the rains and the snows that are surely to come. May we all remember that water is life. May we be reminded of God's great love for us that we are promised steams of living water, continually flowing, constantly renewing, which we can share with the world.

No comments: