Monday, January 4, 2010

Work while it is day


" We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” John 9:4-5

I am one among many who misses the light during the winter. These past few weeks make me feel like I should hibernate, find a cool cave and sleep until spring returns. The day light is so short - and I know the shortness of days cannot compare to other places where winter means little or no light. No matter how much technology we surround ourselves with, there is no comparison between natural and artificial light. We can light everything in the darkness and it is still dark night.

Jesus heals a man born blind. He life had always been the dead of winter. He could feel the light but never see it and never take it in. There are those around him who are questioning Jesus wanting to know if the blindness is some punishment. But Jesus answers all of this by healing the man. God's activity of making whole. His work was always to restore and heal, to bring light to darkness and life to the dying. We are invited to work when there is light, in the daytime with Christ. To live with the light of the world so that others might know healing and reconciliation.

So today, despite my natural inclination to hibernate, I want to be a beacon of hope for others, a source of light where there is little in this dark winter. Each of us has a light to shine, and daylight to use. May we all have the courage today to use the light we have for the restoration of others.

No comments: