Sunday, January 24, 2010

Home


When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the sabbath day, as was his custom. Luke 4:9

Home

A place, a door, a season
a coastline from the airplane
window,breath catching, tears
welling up, I am home.

They know me and I'm scared my past
might interfere with present
my presence here is suspect
challenged, welcomed, rejoiced
I am home.

I read the words memorized
I speak the hidden words of heart
and promise, they marvel
and I fear that
I am home.

Everybody wants something
different for each, and incomplete
human capacities are normal
but expectations are huge and I fail
to see that I am home.

God is within and without,
there is enough worry for today
storm clouds gather trouble
collecting dark hearts and aching
sings and wonders too much
for the crowd at home.

I ask God in heaven to be here
with me at home, sheltering me
from storm and onslaught, terror
and jealousy, I am sure here
I am called and God is climbing
down from heaven
and I am home.

No comments: