Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dead Hearing


" Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live." John 5:24-25

I was a pretty determined child and grew up to be a fairly determined woman. When I was small, if there was something I wanted to try, I found a way to attempt it. I have an older brother and anything he could do, I thought I should do also. My mother would try to tell me that I was too small, or a little girl, but I was bound and determined to try it. Often times the attempt would end up in some bump or scrape. But I was dead to her cautions and her words. Too often, when people try to alert me to the dangers, if I don't listen now, I can find myself with more than a few bumps and scraps -very few of which are physical. The determination in a child or adult can make us deaf to the world around us, and careless with the needs of others. We can find u ourselves in dangerous places and on the brink of tremendous hurt.

Jesus tells his disciples that his words are life and life eternal. We often discount the words and cautions of others. Jesus reminds us that his word is life and we, who chose life must accept the words that he brings. If we do so, then life is ours in its full abundance.

Today, I want to have ears and a heart to heed Christ's words for me. Too often, I run headstrong into something and then have to retreat. I want to walk and live Christ's words today, knowing that each step of the way will be life, and life abundant. May we all listen with our hearts today and recieve the life and love that God has promised for each of us.

No comments: