Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Complete Joy


John answered, “A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before him.’ The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete. He must increase, but I must decrease.” John 3:27-30

I am just arriving home after a wonderful trip to a gathering of Indigenous leadership. It was hosted in Alabama by the wonderful folks at St. Anna's Church on the Poarch Creek Reservation. We were delayed getting home by a day since my daughter was violently ill and couldn't fly yesterday. Thinking back though, I was happy and encouraged by all the new and young leadership which is coming forth and the folks who are working to encourage others. Challenges abound and yet so many are working so hard for the good of others and their various communities. And I begin to have an idea of what it means to have complete joy - both in the blessings of others and safe home -all which seem to be gifts from heaven.

Today, as the sun sets, home life returns and laundry gets done, I am grateful to God for wonderful friends all over the globe who are faithful in their own places and for the common good. I am grateful for my family who happily welcomes me home, no matter what shape I am in. And I am grateful for a home, warm and secure, when so many have nothing and no one to go home to. May my joy be demonstrated in the way I care for others, how I offer what I have and my gratefulness in prayer and song for God's good and abundant gifts in my life.

No comments: