Saturday, December 5, 2009

Rendering to God


They said, “Caesar's.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.” Matthew 22:21

Today we are going over to a center in a nearby town where our parish helps feed the hungry and the homeless once a month. This will be the first time I have joined my folks in this effort as I was away from home for the first opportunity. It is not a complicated or strenuous effort just something that takes some preparation and coordination. I feel blessed that I can go with them and help encourage their offering to others. And I am touched by the ways God asks us to render to God the things that are Gods. For our food, our survival, our very abundance is a gift from God, the substance of life all about us. We are showered with blessings and yet we grumble. Today lifts the burden to grumble and gives us the opportunity for a brief time to render unto God the bounty of love.

Today, in the midst of this bustling holiday season, I am hoping to learn from the people I meet today. I expect to find blessing in their lives, even if they don't feel blessed and can't see it. Not because I am holy - just the opposite. It is because in giving to others on days like today, I can see more clearly how blessed I am in the activity of giving. This activity somehow helps me understand the activity of God. And in so doing, I can, in my small way render to God. May we all take the time this season to render to God in our small ways, in our quiet corners and the places of most need. For God is surely there inviting our small gifts.

No comments: