Sunday, November 8, 2009

Small Stuff


"Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on."
Mark 12:43-44


Many people don't even stop to pick up a penny that was dropped on the road. The penny is not considered enough to buy anything these days. Such a small amount is looked at as more trouble than it is worth. Sometimes people get feeling like pennies. They don't have enough to make a favorable impression on someone. They feel deficient and lacking and think the world passes them by. Some people who have had wealth or looks and have lost it, struggle every day to regain it when the losing might just have been the greatest gift in their lives. Because when we have nothing, we have to rely on God and the generosity of those around us. We learn that we are precious to God, even if the world has passed us by.

Jesus sat by the treasury where people made their offerings. He noticed the one woman who was not like all the rest. Her poverty was evident. Her gift was infinitesimally small. And yet God incarnate held her up as the symbol of all that is good in the world. She offered her little, and her action changed the world. She gave as a symbol of her trust in God and her willingness to care for the rest of the community.

Today, I pray that I can focus on the abundance I have been given by God rather than the lack. I will work to be content with exactly what I have today, knowing that God has lovingly placed me here and knows all the needs I have. I pray that today, I can model myself after the poor widow who gave her all for the love of others. May God bless us all as we offer our little so that the world might know Gods enormous love and compassion.

No comments: