Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Little Faith


Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?” He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:19-20

Tonight Bishop Sisk will come and I will be officially installed as Rector of All Saints' Church. Friends and family, clergy and lay people will gather to pray and support me and the congregation as we begin this new walk together. At momentous times like these, I always wonder whether I have what is needed to serve this church and these people as God would have them served. Too often, I feel inadequate to the task ahead of me. And it is also momentous times as these that I remember that God is the source of all my faith and all my strength. I have to put one foot in front of the other, praying all the way, asking for God's strength and direction. I cannot do this ministry alone. I count on Christ to empower me to fulfill this call. With God's help, we can indeed move mountains.

So for today, my only prayer is for the faith to do what needs to be done today. One small step at at time, inch by inch, I ask God to give me what I need hour by hour. I am grateful for the opportunity to serve and know that God will use me if I but ask and trust in him completely. May we all pray for God's power to work in us so that we may move mountains and hearts in God's service today.

1 comment:

Russ Worthington said...

Bishop and Friend,

What a wonderful evening. Would not have missed it.

It was great to see your mother again.

All the best,