Saturday, November 28, 2009

Let Our Eyes be Opened


They said to him, “Lord, let our eyes be opened.” And Jesus in pity touched their eyes, and immediately they recovered their sight and followed him. Matthew 20:33-34

Yesterday we traveled to Norwalk to visit the Aquarium. The place was packed with families on holiday and we had a great time looking at the penguins and the seals. There were fish and turtles, sea horses and frogs and all sorts of life that lives in the water. When we were done we were tired but full. It was then I realized I didn't know where my keys were. We searched my purse and my camera bag. We checked with the Aquarium and the restaurant where we ate. They finally found my keys - still in the car. Thank God no one had gone off with the car! This was frightening that in the confusion of a new place I misplaced my keys. On the other hand, I have been known to misplace my keys on a somewhat regular basis. WE spend a good deal of time looking for misplaced things in my house.

Jesus gives sight to blind men who beg for their healing. In Christ's compassion, he responds to the ache and desire of human beings. And yet we rarely ask and more rarely see when we have been given our sight, or granted our healing. We often stumble around looking for another answer, another set of keys and miss that God is with us, right now, answering our needs as we ask.

Today, I want my eyes and my heart to be open. I want to be able to see God activity in my life and rejoice in everything I witness. May we all have the grace to have full sight of the love and grace that is showered down upon us today.

No comments: