Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Whispers in the dark


“So have no fear of them, for nothing is covered that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. What I tell you in the dark, say in the light, and what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops." Matthew 10:26-27

When I was a child in the summer, my friends and I had a great hiding place in dunes. The bushes had grown tall and the sand underneath, blown by the wind, had carved out a hiding place. Even in daylight it was shadowy and cool. We would sit there for hours sharing a snack and telling our secrets. We would talk about religion and compare schools, families and siblings. It wasn't a competitive place. Rather it was a gentle place to share the normal fears of life of children growing up. You can no longer access this place because the dunes are cordoned off for their protection.

We all have secret dreams and hopes that we whisper in the dark but fear to talk about in the light. Jesus told his disciples not to be afraid because we are worth much more than sparrows and that God cares for us tenderly and completely. God made us as we are, carefully and tenderly and what we fear to dream God has planted in our hearts.

Today, I want to be less fearful with my hope and dreams. I want to tell what God has planted in the dark no matter how people react. I often discount myself, as many people do, thinking that what I have to offer is inadequate or insignificant. Jesus reminds us of our worth today and I want to live this day, trusting that God is caring for us tenderly. I want to live this day acting on God's love. May we all take heart that what we have heard in the dark will be a blessing in the light of day today.

No comments: