Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Yoke is Easy


“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:29-30

They told me that the shipment was about 45,000 pounds of pumpkin. A neighboring parish hosts this event called the pumpkin patch. The monies raised go to support several outreach projects. And Thursday night all these pumpkins had to be unloaded.
When we arrived there, my husband, our daughter Emily, and myself, there was a boy scout leader and his troop along with several other small groups of people. The truck was large and pretty full. More and more people came to help. We formed lines, human chains of pumpkin passers, not unlike the water brigades of old. We worked for little more than an hour and the load was finally off the truck and in piles on the ground ready for sale. What could have been an overwhelming job and a tremendous burden was lighter because folks of all ages worked together.

Many of the challenges we all face seem like that load of pumpkins - way too much for one person to unload. The challenges of life, personal, financial and communal, can often overwhelm us and make us feel unable to cope with our daily lives. And to all of us who feel like the weight of the world is bearing down on us, Jesus tells us that not only will he comfort us, but will lighten our burdens and walk with us as we move through life. Jesus says he will act like the community that moved so many pumpkins - coming together to make a big job small, a huge challenge completely manageable and a joy returned.

Today may we trust God with our burdens. May we have the courage to share our journey with others and find a community to share challenges with. May we know well that Jesus will give us comfort, lighten our load and return our joy.

No comments: