Friday, October 30, 2009

Growing Together


"Let both grow together until the harvest, and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.’” Matthew 13:30

There have been times in my life when I have had to ask God why things happen, and why bad behavior seems to be rewarded. I am always amazed when obvious cruelty and abuse goes unchecked and the person seems above reproach by all around. Whether I have been at the receiving end of the hurt, or if it is someone else, I still wonder why God allows this? I have been told it makes us stronger when we go through hard times. I also know that it makes many people bitter and they shield themselves from everyone and everything. When someone is a victim of this kind of behavior from a trusted leader, it makes them hate the institution and everything it stands for. I still cannot reconcile myself to the fact that it is the way of the world. My mother says she has questions to ask God when she gets to heaven. She keeps a list of just these sorts of questions, knowing she have an answer at a later date.

Today, Jesus talks to his disciples about this through a parable. Although it is no comfort to me, the parable of the weeds teaches that weeds grow despite our best intentions. Evil can become intertwined in the best of human situations. Tearing evil out might damage the fragile relationships and fragile people who are trying to grow in the midst of this complicated garden we call life. The parable does not bring me a complete answer today, but it reminds me that God is in charge and my view of the world is limited by my humanity and the weeds growing in my own heart.

Today, I want to remember that God is in charge and live simply with that knowledge. I can tend my own garden and pray for those around me. God is judge and know the big picture much more than I ever will. Today, I want to give myself to seeing the good growing around me and encourage it rather than fearing the evil that might choke out life. May we all turn this day over to God so that we all might flourish and grow together. May we do our part to grow strong and healthy offering ourselves for the building up of others.

No comments: