Saturday, September 19, 2009

Suspending Judgment


Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God. 1 Corinthians 4:5

Yesterday, on my day off, we took a ride on the Taconic Parkway, looking for a way to enjoy the mild autumn day and explore a bit. We had in mind to pick apples but the place we headed to was closed. We were very disappointed after such a long journey. Angry with ourselves for not calling ahead and doing better research, judgmental of them for not providing what they had promised.They are only open on weekends it would seem.

We had the numbers of a few other places, so after we filled up on gas, we called around until we found an orchard. Turns out it was nearby. And we had the place to ourselves. We not only picked apples, jonamacs, macouns and macintosh, but they had red and yellow raspberries. It was a delightful afternoon as we lingered and pick fruit to our hearts content. We laughed and wandered around looking over the pumpkin crop, thinking we might just have to come back in October. Once we had had our fill of picking, we found a little diner and had the best diner food ever. A gorgeous and delicious day.

Sometimes, it is easy for us to rush to judgment and accept failure. We can be dismissive all too soon. God's final judgment are yet to come. And we can wait for another solution and know that God is always providing, even when we can see it or receive it.

Today, I ask God to help me suspend judgment, to let go of my expectations so that I can see God's abundance. I want to surrender my judgment and learn to wait on God. A hard thing for me to do. Just for today, I ask God to help me wait and pray for a different resolution than I can imagine. May we all have strength to wait upon the Lord.

No comments: