Friday, August 14, 2009

Take Heart


Jesus stood still and said, ‘Call him here.’ And they called the blind man, saying to him, ‘Take heart; get up, he is calling you.’Mark 10:49

I have always loved the story of blind Bartimeaus. He's kind of my hero. He isn't afraid to tell God what he needs. So here is a poem for those of us who need some courage in these challenging times.

The road is a dark place,
rain is pelting down
I am a traveler without transport
a tour guide without sight.

I can hear the passing cars music
and laughter, arguments spills out
wash over me then leave me and I
ache to be going with them traveling
in motion confident of the destination.

The fog has settled in my friend
fog who covers me and allows me to weep
shamelessly openly afraid, complete abandonment
fog dweller I who slips into a familiar haze
of self doubt and loneliness.

There is one walking along
the road who stands still above me
invisible in the fog of my aching heart
and he waits for my voice, my invitation.

Here, take heart, and a hand reaching
a life extended a voice ringing out
the walking God has come for me, has found my
road, my blind alley, my puzzle and has peeled
away and uncovered my heart.

No comments: