Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sleeping In



And he took a child and put him in the midst of them, and taking him in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.” Mark 9:36-37

This morning I slept in some and later than I have in months. I know I needed the rest since the challenges of moving and starting over in a new place have overwhelmed me at times. Sleep and love are God's best medicine. I know this. And it was lovely to have the time to rest and lie about for a bit. As I was waking up, I had a startling little dream. I was waking up and our children were small again and they were all three at our bedside and crawling in bed with us, laughing and giggling. Life doesn't get much better than when you have time to linger and play with the ones you love. Of course they are all grown up now but every once in a while one of them will crawl into bed with us. Sweet and tender, and a glimpse of the kind of tender love God has for all of us.

Jesus takes a small child in his lap and tell the disciples and us who listen from generations later, and says “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me". Simply and clearly the kingdom of heaven is accessed as we receive and care for children and as we love the adults around us with the tender and sweet love often only afforded children. God's love is not a complicated dogma but a simple openness to be simple and childlike, tender and sweet. And that requires a vulnerability that many adults are afraid of, even though we privately know how vulnerable we are.

I invite us today to live, at least today, open to God's love as a child. And may we open our arms wide to all the adults and children who come to us seeking God's love. May we be tender and sweet. For there is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments: