Thursday, July 2, 2009

What evil



"What evil has he done?" Luke 23:22

I have spent so much time on the road this week, back and forth to Drew, that I have hardly been able to study or pray, except for little snatches while in traffic. It is not a good idea for me to close my eyes to pray while driving, but I do have lots of time to lift up all the people who are close to my heart. I am amazed that in such a short time the people in my class have become family, and a family together. They watch out and care for each other, feed each other and tease one another constantly. There is love in evidence. They might be competing but instead are caring and concerned for one another.

Jesus is facing the last days of his life, and he is on trail before the mob. He has scared them with his love, with his radical inclusion and they want him dead. The leaders only want to chastise him and send him away. Pilate repeatedly asks about the evil this man has done. But there is no answer, for love and inclusion are never evil. People can hate and fear those who include strangers in their family. They can hate those who are different or who make them jealous - but none of those things are evil.

For what remains of today I want to walk with the love of Jesus, who facing the gallows and the ridicule and rejection of the people, did not assume his lack of popularity meant he was evil, or out of relation with God. People sometimes just hate. Their hurt and fear turns into hate of another. I ask God to help me forgive that kind of hate, that kind of targeting, that kind of fear lived out large. Too many people never get loved like family. I want to spend my time loving and including, forgiving and blessing and invite you to do the same.

No comments: