Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Healing on the road


I didn’t get to make my bed until midday today. Phoebe and I had an early start, to move her out of the place she was staying and into my Mom’s house for the summer. Some things are just hard and some times we have to be strong together. By the time she got off to work, my mother was ready with some chores for me. There are just some days when you don’t know how you can get through. Some days and tasks are just really tough, and although we all want to be grown ups and strong people, well, some things and some relationships are just complicated and hard. And I am convinced that the only way through is through – God acts on our behalf as we engage what ever is in front of us.


“As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, ‘Jesus, Master, have pity on us.’ When he saw them he said, ‘go show yourselves to the priests.’ And as they went they were cleansed.” Luke 17:12-14

I think of those poor men suffering with leprosy, outcast and alone, having only each other for companionship. They see Jesus and ask to be healed and he sends them on their way. I think I would be reluctant to go, but in their going they were made whole. They were no longer outcasts, no longer without a family and community, and reviled no more. And it was their going, their motion, the one step forward at a time that brought about the healing presence and transformation of God.

Today, with so much on my plate, and so much desire to take care of so many, I want to remember that all the steps ahead are in God’s hands. I only need to take one step at a time, resting possibly in between, and God will be in the midst of the work and activity. God will be along side and within, as I step out in faith. May this day be a day when we all step out in faith, not trusting ourselves, nor grieving our limitations, but knowing God to provide the healing, the direction and the strength to get all the way home.

No comments: