Saturday, June 13, 2009

Greatest love



"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:12-13

As we have been preparing to move, there has been lots of opportunity for discovery. Crusty old letters folded in books, pictures sent from far away, and funny pictures that somebody probably hoped had been destroyed. Images and sentiments across so many years testify to love across states and commonwealths and family ties which are deeper than the ocean. It is a remarkable thing to rediscover oneself, a younger, more frightened or more carefree self in all this packing.

One of the most treasured finds, written in a weathered, marble school lined notebook, was a set of poems I wrote in the months before our wedding in 1975. At the time I was an undergraduate at Antioch College in Baltimore, studying writing and communications. I had a weekly tutorial with Grace Cavalieri, my writing professor, and the notebook is scared with her rewrites and suggestions. She taught me how to be bold when I was cautious, honest when pretentious and at all times transparent and visible. She believe good art and writing were invitations to view an others soul. She was a hard task master, and I am forever grateful to her for it.

So today, I want to share with you one of those found treasures - one of those poems. Love is a precious gift from God and no matter how romantic movies depict love, love's essence is the heart of God - patient, kind, lacking jealousy, pride and rudeness, not self-seeking nor angry nor counting mistakes and failings, always trusting and protecting the most vulnerable. Today I want to give thanks for the love that has lasted all these years and which has taught me so much about the heart of God.

Everybody I know has letters from lovers lost
but I keep finding you in my arms.

I read a few lines yesterday
from you and didn't laugh
all you said is still very true.

I can't make up my mind
if I should save your letters
or not.

I woke up today to you
and don't think I'm
going to change my mind.

I saved anothers letters
until you cam my way
and then I burned them.

No comments: