Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Serving


"So he bent over her and rebuked the fever and it left her. And she got up at once and began to wait on them." Luke 4:39

This morning I went out early and found my car covered in pollen. Although it is considerably cooler today than yesterday (we've had summer in April for 4 days), spring is definitely here. There is nothing to stop the progress or the exploding pollen. No matter how we humans try to control and redesign the world, the pollen (and my car hidden beneath the pollen) reminds us that the Creator of the world designed a beautiful progressing organism. No matter what we try to stop or change nature, it is hard wired to be fertile and grow in season. It has to because in doing so, it sings the Creator's song. Nature serves the Creator with joy and abundance. It echoes back the beauty that it hides all winter long.

In our gospel we hear the story of Simon's mother in law who was very sick. Jesus heals her and she immediately gets up and serves them. This is what she does, she serves the people that come into her home. Being raised a Cherokee, I know that it what we women do when we have guests present. We make sure they have food and drink enough, making sure that everyone is comfortable and welcome. It is who we are and how we respond to the Creator and the gifts and people given to us. It is not groveling or subservient, rather, a joyful response to abundance in creation.

Today, I want to give thanks for the changing of seasons and the signs of life all around me. I want to do that by serving others. Like the mother in law long ago, I want to get up and serve others with joy. Not because I have to, but because I want to, with a thankful heart and a song on my lips. Jesus has brought me through illness and hard times, and it is time to get up and serve. May we today, give thanks for all the signs of life around us. May we rejoice in the abundance and healing God has brought us, and may we share, as we are able, the gifts we have been given by reaching out and serving others in the love of Christ.

1 comment:

pollockdiane said...

Dear Bishop, I'm so glad to be able to access your site, which I haven't been able to do for the past two weeks (computer problems) I alsways start my day reading your entries. I find them, not only informational, but spiritual. In fact the bulletin board over my desk has compies of several of your entries.

Glad to be back. Extremely delighted to be able to have you back on my computer!

God bless, you, Mark, the "girls" etc.

Diane