Friday, April 17, 2009

Coming and Going


"It is better for you that I go away. If I do not go the Helper, the Holy Spirit will not come to you. If I go, I will send the Comforter to you." John 16:7

Coming and Going

They came to assess the load,
the boxed belonging needing to go
to follow, to be taken along.

The air was full of light and dust
dancing particles swirling on ray beams
and we wished to be blink and be off
dancing like the dust, swirling but not
bound by the load we carry.

Hovering between Easter and Pentecost
new life yet not a new heart nor home yet
brimming full of potential
and completely scared hiding in attics
and shadows, only half believing
only half embracing the new life given.

I want to emerge from winter's darkness
and savor the filtered light at the border
regions which I have run from now draw me
to the edge, to imagine more than has been
nestled in the arms of God.

We are coming and going, making room
for new life and a new community.
It is not without pain or injury
letting go hurts in the moment and aches
for years to come.

Lord let me know your loving arms
as my arms ache from carrying boxes
tremble from the awkward newness of life
the tenuous and complex feelings of being
on the love.

Let my head rest in the soft grass,
and let the breeze sing me lullabies
for I am torn between here and there and still
not grounded not located anywhere
but in the heart of God.

No comments: