Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Annunciation



"The angel came to her and said,'you are honored very much and you are a favored women.The Lord is with you. You are chosen from among many women.'" Luke 1:28


The Annunciation

The clouds moved in blocking
the sun forming long
heavy navy blue shadows and I
shuddered with fear.

The voice like an old seasoned cello
deep and resonant liquid
with comfort and grounded in
authority and I
heard the voice tell me that God
had chosen me and I dropped
to my knees and hid my face in my hands.

My tears like warm salty
rivers, my feelings bled out together
like new dyed wool left out
in the rain and I
shook with the sight of an angel
at once wizened ancient and smoothly young
full of life and rooted in the earth.

My heart stopped entirely
then began again to pound anew
and the words soft and strong
touched my being and I
was to carry the God child
in my womb and oh no
I am too young and not
entirely worthy.

The Lord is with you the angel promised
and yet I am alone
with my aching belly
and leaping heart and I
whispered to my girl friends about
the angel and they laugh and tell me no Mary,
tease me, oh Mary, silly Mary,
you are no queen at least
not royal enough for God.

The voice stills my heart still, the quiet
velvet firm promise, God is with
you Mary, God is with you in
your youth and your fear and in your
insecurity, your trembling, God is with you
and will make you strong.

No comments: