Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Fig Tree

"Look at the fig tree and all the trees. When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourself that summer is near." Luke 21:29-30

When I was growing up, my parents had a fig tree in the back yard. It was a tree that was strong and vibrant, and was also close to the ground and easy to climb. It was a place of cool and refuge from the summer heat with its enormous rounded leaves. I loved to sit in the branches and marvel at the small buds of fruit as they grew. I was always tempted to pick them too early, but my father, the ultimate fig lover, kept a close watch on the figs. "Everything in good time " he would say and " patience, or if you eat them now they will make you sick." He was right, but I also knew he was not the most patient person in the world and he had made himself sick several times by eating too many figs. The fig tree had lots of lessons to teach, including that my Dad and I are more alike in adulthood than I want to admit. And, in truth, the ripe fruit was worth waiting for. Advent is that time of waiting, where we renew our hope in Christ and await his coming in glory. We read these passages from the Gospel that anticipate Christ's passion. And yet, I am not always sure what signs mean. I get the fig tree and summer, but I find some other signs more vexing.

The end of the Gospel reading for today is most helpful to me. It simply reports that "every day Jesus was teaching at the temple, and each night he went out to spend the night on the hill called the Mount of Olives, and all the people came early in the morning to hear him at the temple." (verses 37-38) This coming every day, early in the morning, is the only way I know to have some inkling of what the signs might mean and what is appropriate in the present season. Engaging Christ in the Gospel and prayer is the only way I know to have a sense of direction in the coming days.

For today, I want to give thanks for the opportunity to study the scriptures and for the time and space to pray. I ask God to give me pateince and a calm heart, so that I might see the signs of God's love all around me. I ask for the strength to hold fast in faith, knowing that even in the midst of trouble, God is in the midst of us, acting on our behalf and redeeming the world through Christ. May we all have the strength to rise up early to hear Jesus. May we together, "early let us do thy favor, early let us do thy will " and early, every morning, seek his face.

I share the complete text of this old Sunday School hymn that keeps running through my head. Words are written by Dorothy Thrupp (1836) and music by William B. Bradbury (1839).

keep running through my head -

Savior, like a shepherd lead us, much we need Thy tender care;
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us, for our use Thy folds prepare.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.

We are Thine, Thou dost befriend us, be the guardian of our way;
Keep Thy flock, from sin defend us, seek us when we go astray.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Hear, O hear us when we pray.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Hear, O hear us when we pray.

Thou hast promised to receive us, poor and sinful though we be;
Thou hast mercy to relieve us, grace to cleanse and power to free.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! We will early turn to Thee.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! We will early turn to Thee.

Early let us seek Thy favor, early let us do Thy will;
Blessed Lord and only Savior, with Thy love our bosoms fill.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Thou hast loved us, love us still.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Thou hast loved us, love us still.

No comments: