Friday, October 24, 2008

Martha, Martha


"Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken from her." Luke 10:41-42


Today is the first day of Convention in the Diocese of Hawaii. I am so grateful to be here, and yet I will admit to worrying about what I am going to say, if I am prepared enough and whether I chose the right things to wear and the right tone to take. Odd, isn't it, to get so worked up over minor things, while looking out over the Pacific Ocean, swimming early every morning and being swept up in an atmosphere of welcome and inclusion. I guess I favor Martha more often than I want to admit. But I also know, the work it takes for me to open my mind to the experience,to welcome Christ's presence, and to listen closely for God's guidance makes me extra grateful for God's love and care in my life.

Some of us are blessed to be Marys- the one who gets it right away and runs to the Savior. But many others,although they have no doubts, also take their responsibilities very seriously, and have been left with too big a burden by careless others. So this is a day to be reminded that we can put down the burden and the worry. God will take care of the necessities, and will bring us joy and peace. Today is a day to embrace the Mary in us - the one who is able to fling worry aside and embrace the total change of plans, embrace the strangers at our doors, rejoice in being a stranger in paradise, and open our hearts completely to Jesus.

A Prayer for Convention

O wondrous Creator,
who lights the waves with the pink light of morning
who brings forth abundance of green and fruit on the land,
and who is singing in the nighttime blessing us with new life;
draw close to the people of the Diocese of Hawaii.

Give them deep roots and great vision,
warm hearts ready always to embrace stranger, enemy and family,
and give them strength to go where you have called them.
Make them one in Your Son;
who honors each and every diverse culture and language
with the honor of homeland, hospitality and generosity.

Give them a renewed spirit,
hearts quick to laughter
and voices quick to singing.
And may their lives together be a sign for us all
that You are alive in our midst this day.
We ask this all in Christ's holy name. Amen.

No comments: