Thursday, August 21, 2008

Try A Little Tenderness




















"It is I, do not be afraid." John 6:20

In the midst of stormy times - when boats are being tossed by winds, lives are being rearranged by accidents, families are challenged because of balances, children are growing up too fast and are out of reach, when the onslaught is at its worst -it is then we hear these tender words, "do not be afraid." Well, I am not easily comforted when told to not be afraid. I am always comforted when someone takes my hand, or holds me, and listens to me when the burden is too great to bear alone. Most of us respond to touch and tenderness when words and reasons have failed. Most of us need a little tenderness these days, when the winds of fortune have battered, when the challenges of living have exhausted, when simple things have become complicated, this is when words fail and touch and tenderness reach us.

So today, I want to try a little tenderness. There are a lot of hurting people out there, and right here in my own family. There have been small bumps in the road and everybody is surviving, but many have lost their ability to bounce back. It happens to us all. So, just for today, I want to try a little tenderness - with myself, my family and everyone I encounter today. They've been battered, been rowing hard against the wind and are exhausted from the struggle. Every nerve is on edge, every fiber is stretched to the brink. They need soft words, a kind smile, and a gentle touch. They need the tenderness that is the gift of the Creator who sent a gentle son into the world to calm our seas. May we reach out as God reaches out to us, with gentle, tender touch, soft, warming winds and breezes that let us take our rest in safety.

No comments: