Saturday, July 19, 2008

Things that go Bump in the Night


Last evening, my mother was having trouble with swelling in her arm. After consulting with a neighbor who is a doctor, we decided that it would be prudent to take her to the hospital to have her examined to make sure everything was all right. It was a beautiful, cool evening and we set out for the 15 mile drive with the bright moon watching over us. We were about 10 minutes into our trip when two deer ran across the highway in front of us. The impact was instantaneous, airbags deployed and somehow I was able to steer the car to the shoulder. It was all so sudden and so terrorizing. My only concern was for my mother. She was shook up, we both were but she was alert and aware as we waiting for emergency response folks to arrive. We rode the last few miles to the hospital in an ambulance, after they had made sure she was stable and showing no major injury. We were both checked out thoroughly and sent home with medicine to help my mother’s arm and our bruised bodies. Today is a day of recovery, trying to rest and heal from the shock and trauma.

The first thing that comes to mind is how much worse it could have been. I had a sense last night, even more clear today, that we were watched and cared for – saved from the worst. Despite the bruising I feel grateful to God to be alive, and especially grateful that my Mom is ok. I felt a tremendous sense of responsibility last night, overwhelmed to care for the one who spent so much of her life caring for me. I have no idea what this moment in our lives means, I only know that my sense of God’s hand on my life is stronger than ever. I also know that I never want to have this experience again.

I usually write this blog every day. Today, I am writing for today and tomorrow. I need time to pray through this overwhelming moment in my life. Many of us have lived through like experiences. Many of us know people who have not survived harrowing accidents. May we remember all of them – all of the people who, because of accident, ill-health and other circumstances, have totally lost a sense of control and safety in their lives. May I have the courage to seek God in this overwhelming moment, as it is often so natural to blame God and to wonder why this is happening to me. May I wrap myself in the knowledge and sweetness of the Creator’s watching over me. May I have the courage to accept the care and nurture of others. God’s hand is in the middle of us, in the midst of our relationships and our neediness. May we find ways to rejoice in the care that is showered upon us – even when we only want to be in control and care for ourselves alone.

Remember to pray for the Bishops at Lambeth (both Saturday and Sunday)

Morning Prayer
Loving Creator,
May we rise with your joy in our hearts when we have gone to bed with anxiety and regret. May we find creative ways to seek your sweetness in the broken places in our lives. May the Bishops who gather this day find your countenance in their midst. May the breeze and sunlight be gentle and may they recognize these both as your tender care. May they have the courage to give control over to you, so that their words and actions might bring forth the reign of your justice. In Christ’s name we pray, Amen

Evening Prayer
Dearest Savior,
As the day ends, with shadows are lengthening and the heat of the day a fading memory, may we turn our hearts and mind to you. May love wash over all of the dark and broken places. May Christ’s restoring light shine through all the intense and shattered moments, providing illumination and forgiveness for all. May the Bishops, and all of us, rest secure this night in your loving arms. May we let go the day and forgive, as we are forgiven. In the name of the one who gave his life that we might live forgiven, Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

Caminante said...

Prayers for both of you and thanksgiving that it wasn't worse.

Having been in a car that hit a MOOSE on 30 May, I can relate to the experience. The difference was that the airbags did not deploy and through God's mercy the three of us humans were fine. We mourned the death of the moose.

In any event, may the bruises to your body and soul heal quickly and may this be a one-time deal.

Lee