Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Practicing justice, mercy and faith


As we were preparing our family cookout on the Fourth of July, having set ahead all that we could, I busied myself with taking pictures while the crowd slowly gathered from all over. I delight in capturing normal things and situations in new ways. I found, to my delight, that the picnic silverware reflected the table umbrellas exactly. As I was busy taking pictures, one of my siblings teased me about indulging in being an artist. "What are you trying to do, be an artist?" I was on my best behavior, so I laughed and kept doing what I was doing. I had wanted to say, "I am being faithful to what wonders God is showing me." Then everyone would have teased me for being pompous. But in fact, seeking beauty in the every day and in every person is faithfulness to me. Celebrating the moments of love revealed is an essential part of my faithful walk with God.

"For you tithe mint, dill and cumin and have neglected the weightier matters of the law; justice mercy and faith." Jesus was chastising the Pharisees, calling them blind guides - they worried about the inconsequential details of temple life and neglected the needs of others and what God was revealing to them - the gifts of love and love right in front of them. It is easy for us as humans to get caught up in the details of the work, setting the table, preparing the meal etc, while we forget the incredible beauty and need that are surrounding us in every situation.

Today I ask God to help me be a sighted guide, to live a life full of justice, mercy and faith. I want to have the sight today to see the beauty in others, ears to hear their needs, and hands and heart with which to respond. I want to follow God by responding to what God reveals to me. I pray that I will have the strength and ability to respond. Today, I pray that we can all follow God by walking and living a path of justice, mercy and faith. A path of seeing God's invitation in every face, every situation and every moment. A path where we can all rejoice in the incredible gifts that God has given us right where we are.

No comments: