Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Some of the women in my life


Yesterday, I got to spend part of the day with my sister Betsy. She was back from a trip to Istanbul for work and so had a few days catch up time. We had lunch, went shoe shopping and then to our favorite produce -international foods market. We laughed about becoming like our Mom and talked seriously about our vocational struggles and dreams for the future. She is my youngest sister, and we are the two youngest of five children. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shining and the air was warm and we laughed and listened to one another.

During the day, my youngest daughter called and before dinner my oldest called. I called my mother in the morning and had a tender, tearful exchange with her. We talk a great deal, all of us, about hope and dreams, about our potential and the gifts we have to share. And we laugh a great deal too, like all Indian women, teasing and kidding, to keep ourselves and each other humble. We connect, too, in silence, knowing that we need one another. We connect in prayer, for the spirit is as strong a connection as blood for us.

In the most challenging of times, I have been blessed with sisters, mothers, daughters - related by blood and not, who have been my companions and strongholds during rocky times. They have always brought laughter and listening as their greatest gifts. May we all be blessed today with sisters and brothers who can share with us God's tender gifts of listening and laughter.

No comments: