Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Healthy Competition

We are people who are divided on many issues. Our church is particularly struggling with the issues concerning human sexuality and gender equality. I have witnessed what people call "healthy competition" in the church, which looks an awful lot like an all out war to me. The posture and politics are anything by conciliatory.

Then Jesus told his disciples, ' If anyone wants to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it." Matt.24-25

For very good reasons, many take stands, make huge political statements and dare others to knock them down. With all the shouting and posturing, it is hard to hear what God would have us do. It is hard to hear the children, and harder still to know compassion.

Today, I am going to try instead to practice healthy compassion. To vigorously work at seeking God's intention, and carefully listening to others with my whole being. I don't expect to be very good at it, but I surely want to try. Let us all pray today for the ability to engage in healthy and life-giving compassion. That internal, spiritual urge that gives us the grace to see others as a child of God, and forces our hands and hearts to reach out in love. Healthy compassion hears the others with the loving ears of a good parent. I pray this day we might all be broken open with compassion - for the world is desperately in need today.

No comments: